Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

cat lover

It all started with Buddy.

My cousin Melissa had a kitten she couldn't keep because of a landlord and the minute I'd heard that, I rushed over to her mom's house to see it. He was the sleepiest, cutest, mildest little baby thing- only about 10 weeks old. I didn't have a cat carrier for I'd never had a cat before; all I knew was that I wanted one and this was too much of a coincidence. I took the little sleepy tabby in my hands and placed him in the car. He spent the entire ride from Bellmore to Farmingdale - on the southern state- clutched to the headrest of the passenger seat! (I realize now- not the safest mode of transportation!!!) When I got home I called my soon to be husband to come see her. And that's when it started: we were both hooked on loving cats. That was 8 years ago. Look at our plump, good boy!

Soon after Buddy came Holly- the names together were another amazing coincidence. I was wandering through PetCo and just caught a glimpse of her eyes. I always compare them to a lighthouse- they were like two beams of light. I had to have her. She was destined to be Buddy's sister. Even though she came after Buddy, she was 3 when we adopted her, so we always referred to her as his little-big sister. Also, she was a bit of a runt. She was always teeny-tiny and petite. And, not an easy adoption. That could be it's own entry altogether. She was quite a handful at first. I thought I'd adopted the Tazmanian Devil. Or a terrorist.

Once we gained her trust -and she gained a personality- we enjoyed Holly for 12 healthy years until this February when she mysteriously developed liver disease and lymphoma at the same time. It was sadly too much, too soon, without any telling symptoms, until I noticed that she refused to eat a pounce treat. This was unheard of, so I knew something was wrong. Look at my sweet little day sleeper. She's the prettiest pillow on the couch. Now she's buried in our yard- forever sleeping at home where she belongs.

For my husband's birthday two years ago, he wanted another boy cat to add to Buddy and Holly. We knew we'd be in for a challenge adding a boy to Buddy's house- Holly could handle Buddy's moods; she was a pretty strong fighter.
Buddy is more or less a wimp who wishes he was the only cat here. He's be over the moon if there were no other cats but him, and he'd have happy paws 24-7. Sorry, pal. Suck it up!



So, in a local pet store we met Philly: the cutest, most perfect kitty you've ever seen. And along with him came one of his siblings, Maggie. The store manager suggested we keep some of the litter together. We named them both in the car ride home- Phillip and Maggie- brother and sister tabby kittens. Phil looks like an Entenmann's marble pound cake and Maggie is just the fluffiest, softest ball of fuzz you'll ever see. You can comb her with a grooming comb for an entire weekend and not come to the end of her excess fur. I say she's our living roll of Charmin toilet paper, cause you just want to squeeze her! And, as the picture indicates, they watch TV.
Coming soon: Our newest addition, Tula.
















No comments:

Post a Comment