Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thank you, Teaching.


It may sound nacho cheesy, but I have actually found much refuge in my career lately. When my personal life is in turmoil, school is my safe haven. Lately everything's been crazy- what with Jimmy having his annual surgery, (this time a hernia caused by last year's incision) Buddy's flesh eating disease all over his fat Buddha belly, my aching back, and a hodge-podge of other family matters-- I'm pretty much starting to talk to the wallpaper. But I returned to school after Martin Luther King Jr. Day to one of the most rewarding, heart-warming school days a teacher could ask for.

My students weren't aware of my personal misery- yet. They were just doing their thing- and it was just what the doctor ordered for this weary teacher. First- appreciation in the form of a simple gift card to Border's. The card was written by the parent, saying "My son enjoys your class and says you are a great teacher. Thank you." That made my day and the universe let me see it in the morning in my mailbox, which was nice. Its unexpected kindness made me smile. That with my emotional edginess almost made me lose it, but I choked back the tears (forgive the cliche) and went on with my day.

Took attendance, collected homework, started the class working, and sat down to look at their assignments. One after the other was exceptional. I gushed like a grandparent over every one. They had to write vignettes about their names imitating the writing style of Sandra Cisneros. They used poetic language, allusions, effective fragments, clever comparisions, repetition, etc. I was so happy with their work. Ever since teaching Our Town a few years back, I try not to overlook days like this where ordinary things are actually extremely special. I collect writing all the time, but the effort they'd put in was another gentle gesture I needed. If their work had sucked, I would have been complaining that on top of everything going on in my life, my kids aren't even trying in my classes- but they ARE. I just want to enjoy that fact.

And then, as if the random gift card and the gift of good work weren't enough, one of my sweet 9th grade boys comes runnning up to me at the end of the day and makes my day even better.
"Ms. Hederian!" he shouted across the crowded high school hallway. "There's a song on my Ipod that totally relates to what we're reading in class. It's called Prom Queen. I'll print out the lyrics for you for tomorrow!" What more can a teacher ask for? The kid made an intertextual connection on his own based on my class. He's thinking about a book when he's listening to his Ipod. I must be doing something right- and that's always comforting to hear.

At that moment, whatever was eating away at me lost its bite. I was weightless and drunk with pride. I tell my classes every year that this is the best job because it's about books and kids. Believe me, there are days of my life where the responsibilities that go along with teaching are a pain in the ass. Like today, I graded those 90 vignettes and it pretty much took me 5 hours. But in those 5 hours, I learned more about my kids, the way they think, the way they write, what they understand, and what they don't. And ultimately, my job does deal with two of my favorite things: books and kids. So, it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. well said! your students are lucky to be along for the ride with such a great person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you very much... I enjoyed it. I needed rendom acts of kindess that day and I got 'em!

    ReplyDelete