Total Pageviews

Monday, September 7, 2009

Sleep Apnea Mishap

So I sleep with a machine. It's to help me keep breathing throughout the night because I have sleep apnea. I try to use it every night, but sometimes I end up taking the thing off and just rolling over. The one important thing to remember is that it needs distilled water in it. So sometimes on nights when it's uncomfortable, I know it's probably out of water and the air is too dry. So, last night I set it up with fresh water and I was all set. The other thing the nurses told me about it was to never move it when it has water in it. If you have to move it, you have to first remove the water. It can't be carried or anything. I can't imagine wanting to walk around with the thing; imagine I was a sleep-walker, too? But- I digress. Apparently moving it at all with water in it will really screw it up.

So, needless to say, you have to sleep near the wall so you can plug the thing in, and the tube that comes from your mask is about 6 feet long, which is plenty of slack, but it does have an end, if you know what I mean. So, usually it's long enough and I don't feel confined. But last night for some reason, I yanked on the tube in order to turn over- forgetting that I was even wearing the thing- and the entire machine flipped over onto its top. I'll say that again: onto its TOP. On its head. Not only was it loud- but the motor sounded crazy now, so I obviously had to turn it off, take off the mask, try to fix it, and clean up the mess. And by "mess" I mean all the water that came out in every direction onto the floor and the side of the bed and everywhere. Uggh.

So I think I'm all set and the floor is clean and there's a towel down and I'm about to go back to sleep and the tube drains out onto the bed! Yeah. I had no idea there was water in there! I'm hoping it's not broken. So yeah. When you're tired, already sleeping, and so comfortable you forget you're wearing a mask connected to a machine, what you really want to do is wake up and clean up several puddles of water all over the place. I highly recommend it. You should try it sometime. Oh and Buddy threw up so I cleaned that up, too. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment